BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, August 18, 2008

Philip Roth

Some people are obsessed with Philip Roth, especially Portnoy's Complaint and American Pastoral. I never read the first, but did read the second and really didn't get the attraction. It was an OK novel, I guess, but I struggled to really get into the story, even though my roommate at the time was practically disowning me for not loving the book. However, there is one of his books that I absolutely loved and want you all to read... immediately!

It's The Plot Against America and I first read it back in 2003 right before the election and the eeriness of it all made the hairs on my neck stand up.

The book is the ultimate "what-if" scenario; what if Charles Lindbergh had defeated Franklin Roosevelt for the presidency in 1939? Lindbergh had the sympathy of the public behind him after the kidnapping of his son, and was already popular due to his aviation heroics. However, once in office, Lindbergh exhibited blatant antisemitism and ends up creating nationwide pogroms. The story is narrated by a Jewish boy growing up in Newark, NJ and is both gripping and touching.

You will be captivated from the first page and despite the fact that the novel takes place 70 years ago, there are some scary parallels to today.

0 comments: