BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, August 9, 2008

My Favorite Authors

As an avid reader, there are many, many authors that I keep up with to find out when they're releasing something new. But just because I follow him/her, doesn't mean that I consider that author to be one of my favorites. Most of these will sound familiar to you because I've mentioned them before in earlier posts. Here are some that I would recommend to anyone:

John Irving: A Widow for One Year is my favorite of John Irving's novels, but there are so many good ones to choose from that rather than list them all for you here, I will just say, pick any of his book, you're guaranteed to enjoy it. I went to a reading of Until I Find You when it first came out and while I was in line to get my book signed, I chatted with some of the other people in line; what intrigued me is each of us had a different favorite novel, and it was always the first one of his we'd read.

J.K. Rowling: Since I'm a huge Harry Potter fan, I had to include JKR. I'm such a fan that I went to see her read from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows at Carnegie Hall last October, and even got a signed copy of the book! Anyway, her imagination just astounds me, the stories will draw you in and they're the epitome of good versus evil.

Diana Gabaldon: Historical Fiction is one of my favorite genres, and Diana's research is flawless. You could not get a more accurate description of Jacobite Scotland unless you dropped in there yourself. And the plot is so engrossing, despite the fact that the series is huge and continuing to grow. I eagerly wait for each new book to come out so I can continue the story of Jamie, Claire, Brianna and Roger.

Nelson DeMille: If you like thrillers, you'll really enjoy Nelson DeMille. He's a New York native which makes his novels especially interesting for me because a lot of them take place in the NYC metro area. It's always fun to read about someplace you're familiar with. But if you're not from this area, don't let that deter you from picking up one of his books. Several of his books follow the same character which I enjoy since I always miss characters when the novel is over, but you don't have to read them in order to understand the plot.

Dan Brown: If the only thing you've read by Dan Brown is The DaVinci Code, then you definitely need to grab Angels & Demons. He is another author who does meticulous research, although in his case, I think he tweaks some of it to suit his story, versus the other way around. But despite the controversy surrounding his novels, the man can write and if his new book, which rumor has titled The Soloman Key, ever comes out, I'll be first in line to buy it.

0 comments: