BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, September 21, 2009

The Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

I just finished reading The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, the first two books in this series by Suzanne Collins and I am completely and utterly wowed. The story itself is extremely disturbing and kind of makes me question the “Young Adult” label but this woman certainly has an imagination! These novels take place in a future version of the United States, now called Panem, a country divided into 12 districts and the Capitol. Apparently sometime in the past, these districts rose up against the Capitol and were summarily squashed back into submission. Now, in order to never forget their treasonous ways, each district is required to provide 2 tributes a year (one female, one male) to the Hunger Games. The Hunger Games are a no-holds barred all out brawl where only one child, only those ages 12-18 are eligible to be drawn, can win and by win, I mean outlive the other tributes. And to make it worse, in the Capitol, the Games are the ultimate in entertainment with Sponsors vying to send “gifts” to the tributes and everyone glued to their TVs to see who will be the ultimate winner. Although there are 24 tributes, the two we really follow are Katniss and Peeta, from District 12. Katniss is a volunteer tribute; after her sister Prim’s name was drawn, she volunteered to take her place. Katniss is a definite contender; she has the skills, and mentality to potentially survive. I won’t get into too many details here about the two books since I don’t want to spoil the element of surprise. But I will say this, once I started reading these books, I was fascinated and horrified at the same time. And I could not put the books down and I am eagerly awaiting the third book in this series.

0 comments: