BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Scarpetta by Patricia Cornwell

I just finished Patricia Cornwell's latest novel, Scarpetta, which of course follows Dr. Kay Scarpetta and Dr. Benton Wesley on yet another case. I must say, after The Book of the Dead, I was about ready to give up on this series. The novels had steadily deteriorated in my opinion, with Cornwell's narrative style getting terser and I think she even changed the point of view in the books. Anyway, I was not even planning on reading this one but a friend in England read it and said it was good, so I figured I'd give it a chance. While not up to the standards of some of the earlier books in the series, like The Body Farm or From Potter's Field, I still enjoyed this story. And I felt it was more realistic, in that there was definitely death, after all she is an ME, but with a slightly more believable story line than in the past. Plus it was nice to see that she and Benton had finally gotten married, after all the crap their relationship has been through. While not a home run, it was worth the time to read it. If you haven't read any of these books before, I would definitely suggest you start at the beginning of the series.


0 comments: