BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Before You Know Kindness by Chris Bojalian

I have enjoyed everything I've ever read by Chris Bojalian, so when I saw this one, I had to grab it from the library; and I have to say, I think this was one of my favorites. Before You Know Kindness is the story of a family in extraordinary circumstances. It starts with Spencer McCullough, an extreme animal rights activist, who has just been shot by a bullet from a hunting rifle owned by his brother in law and fired by his 12 year old daughter, Charlotte. The ensuing lawsuit and media circus that is spearheaded by FERAL (Federation for Animal Liberation), his employer, tears the family apart in many ways. Willow, Charlotte's 10 year old cousin, fights to tell the truth about the events of that night, despite Charlotte's pleas to the contrary. Willow, despite her young age, is the moral compass of this story, always trying to do the right thing, despite the consequences. Although Bojalian takes his mocking of the animal rights movement to an extreme, the story is still extremely engaging and he has a unique insight into how to describe the disappointments, tragedies, hopes, and triumphs of a family.

0 comments: