BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk

I had put off reading The Caine Mutiny because as much as I enjoy WW2 history, I was afraid it would be heavy handed, but I was so pleasantly surprised when I started reading this past weekend! This book is so well written and really flows well. This is the story of Willie Keith, a rich Long Islander who is assigned to the USS Caine, and how he matures and grows over the course of the book. But what this story is most known for is the notorious Captain Francis Queeg, who becomes so obsessed with minor infractions and petty issues that the safety of his crew and ship are put in danger. Some of the other characters, which help make this such an interesting story, include Lieutenant Tom Keefer, a cynic in the midst of writing his great American novel, and Lietuenant Steve Maryk, who in the midst of a typhoon, relieves Capt. Queeg of his command, citing Navy regulations. The subsequent Caine Mutiny trial and its aftermath are almost an afterthought after the build up of the story but I really enjoyed every minute. It isn’t a short book but I flew through it in less than a weekend. This is definitely one to check out, and soon!


0 comments: